Skip to main content

There is Nothing Ice Cream Can't Fix

This morning we were all geared up to go to Sam's 18 month wellness appointment. Now, in the past, Sam has really enjoyed going to his doctor appointments. He loves saying hi to everyone and showing off all of his skills. I had anticipated it would be a moment for me to be proud of all the accomplishments of my little man. Boy was I humbled. I should have known as we were on our way. I was telling Sam that we were going to the doctor and he kept saying 'no'. I thought he was just being silly so I kept talking about how the doctor was going to listen to his heart and look at his ears, teeth and eyes. Throughout this whole conversation he continued to respond 'no'. When we arrived at the office, Sam walked in the office, took a look around, walked back to the door, opened it up and said 'bye'...clue #2. After getting in the room, Sam looked at me and said 'all done' ...clue #3. Well, still being clueless I was not prepared for what took place next. It started with some whimpering, then some crying and the came the screams...oh the screams. I am sure everyone in the whole office heard us. Sam screamed and clung to me the entire time. I could barley get his clothes off and prying him off of me was a two person job (he is one strong boy!) Thankfully the nurse and doctor were wonderful and worked fast to get the necessary assessments made. Of course the minute they walked out of the room the tears dried up and he was all charm, waving and saying 'bye' as we left the office. The doctor reassured me that a rough 18 month visit is not all that uncommon as they often remember getting 'jabbed' in their previous time at the office and react accordingly. I declined all of the shots that Sam could have had today due to the delayed schedule I am working on so thankfully we didn't have to do down that road...my poor heart couldn't have taken it.

So, I decided the best way to put all the drama out of our mind was a stop for ice cream. I really think I needed the 'pick me up' more than Sam did but it seemed to do the trick. When you ask him now what happened at the doctor he appropriately responds ' cry' followed by 'I sad'. I asked him if he was scared at the office over lunch and he looked at me very seriously and said 'mmmm hmmmm' (aka 'yes'). Poor kiddo.

Anyways, here are his recent stats. I highly doubt they are accurate as it was impossible to keep him from clinging to me while he got weighed and laying him down to measure him was a complete nightmare. Nevertheless, here they are...

Weight 28lbs (50th-75th percentile)
Height 33 in (90th percentile)

Comments

Ashley Katz said…
It's hard not to cry when they act like that, especially while hormonal.